Tabs

Monday 10 October 2011

Review: Mozart and Speed Dating


The Works: Mozart performance, image courtesy of Joe Plummer
Mozart - like him or hate him?

You either like classical music or you don't, according to my friends. I didn't grow up in a classical music loving household but I did listen to alot of it whenever it was exam time and I had to knuckle down.  For some reason, it was the one thing that calmed my mind and helped me focus. To this day, it still has the same effect though perhaps more pleasurable. I would even go so far as to say that there is very little on this earth that Yo-Yo Ma playing Suite for Solo Cello No.1 in G Major couldn't fix for me.

My friends tell me that they won't go to concerts because they can be too expensive, too stiff or too long but I beg to differ. It is a brave new world and there are brave new orchestras. Of course they still play the classics from famous composers but they play it in an informative, informal and accessible way (read: short but sweet).  If you want to read about my night with the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, Mozart and meeting the musicians afterwards, click here.