Tabs

Wednesday 27 July 2011

What's it like to be.. a Chef working for Jamie Oliver?

Most of us like to cook and we all get addicted to watching Masterchef, perhaps even wondering whether we could cut it in the kitchen for real as a chef.  May I introduce you to Ms De Waal, entertainer, performer and chef-extraordinaire.
My vitals
Annegret De Waal
Head Chef/Food Champion (Jamie-speak)
Jamie Oliver Recipease, London
Age 29

My background
.. born and bred in Somerset West, South Africa. Completed culinary art training in South Africa and moved to London in 2004.  Work experience includes: Eastwell Manor in Ashford, various gastropubs across London including The Castle in Notting Hill and the Star Bar and Brasserie in Aldgate.  Then joined Jamie Oliver's Fifteen as a chef de partie and then became Head Chef/Food Champion at Recipease.

My head said
.. Food and wine have always been therapeutic for me from a very young age as I spent a lot of time in the kitchen with my father who owned a vineyard back home. I knew it was going to take a lot of hard work to be a chef but I am passionate about food and enjoy cooking as part of a better lifestyle.

My heart said
.. take a chance, work hard and stand my ground against the boys in the industry.  The world of cooking is a tough gig for girls but I grew up around animals, hunting and shooting so I know my way around an animal and I love to butcher.  My butchery skills speak for themselves and can silence the boys in the kitchen.

My job involves
.. a whole bunch of stuff as my philosophy is to adopt a hands-on approach so I'm often doing whatever is needed.  Generally it involves managing a kitchen team, prepping for classes, teaching classes, public cooking demonstrations as required (eg at the recent Jamie feastival in Clapham Common) and some admin/bookwork to ensure the smooth operation of Recipease and maintaining a happy kitchen. 

My highlights
.. doing something I love every day makes me feel lucky.  On top of that it is extremely rewarding to teach others.  I had a teenager come up to me after a Kids Class and tell me that he thought my class was fantastic and that he had learnt greater food appreciation and skills for life. Wow - that makes me feel pretty good.  Meeting Jamie was pretty amazing too.  He is exactly like you see him on TV - a really really nice down to earth guy who has such a great attitude to food and cooking for the ordinary person.  Jamie also makes a point of taking care of his staff so we all feel valued.

My lowlights
.. I've worked some ridiculous long hours (7am-11pm) for next to peanuts.  It is also true that some chefs live up to their bad reputations and can be brutally demanding, uncompromising and vocal.  I've had one chef throw a series of soup bowls at me when I wasn't doing a good enough job.  I've also butterflied my hand open with a knife once - ouch.  All part of the job I guess - as they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

My ideal happiness
.. at some point in the future to run my own baking business - maybe wedding cakes from home or my own cookery school? I'm pretty happy where I am and wouldn't trade it for the world.

My last word
.. find something you love and are passionate about in life and go for it. The hard work will eventually pay off even though it may feel so distant at the time.