Tabs

Friday 12 August 2011

What's it like to be ... dining underground ?


The Secret Ingredient
It's been a rather strange week in London - no-one could have ever imagined the events that took place and the rioting that ensued.  Thankfully peace has been restored and people move forward.  This week I have also been researching underground supper clubs for an article and last night went to one in a North London location.  Getting there involved going through some areas affected by riots so I was more cautious than usual and took a minicab instead of driving or using public transport.  Though I laugh now recounting the story to you, I didn't laugh at the time when my minicab was pulled over by police.  My offence - not wearing a seatbelt in the backseat. Yes I know there will be some of you who are black or white - I wasn't being a law abiding citizen and therefore deserved being grilled and then issued with a £60 on the spot fine but there may be those of you who are grey like me and felt gobsmacked at the priorities displayed by the policemen in question.  The streets of London have been under seige and there are policemen stopping people for not wearing seatbelts - I don't deny my culpability but is this good policing - really?

Let's just say that it was a very expensive supper club dinner for me - click here for the article.  As to whether it was worth it - honestly, probably not on this occasion.  I enjoyed the experience of meeting interesting and lovely people, which always restores one's faith in humanity, the host was quirky and funny but most of his food average. I guess that's a glaring limitation of supper clubs - there is no menu and you don't get a choice, you get served whatever the host makes.  After the night I had, I was hoping the food would be great and it fell short. 

Supper club standards and expectations vary and of course, every palate is subjective - I overheard some diners raving about the food they just had as we were all leaving - Hello but were you at the same dinner as me - I asked myself.  I still believe you should try a supper club because it is different but go to one on a friend's recommendation, don't fly blind.  LeLuu's supper club is pretty cool and I'm saving my pennies for The Loft next.